This picture was taken Thursday morning from my front porch. I just love the glisten of snow, ice, and sunshine! ... as long as I don't have to drive in it.
That was quite a little winter storm that went through this week. I had heard forecasts of snow, but don't recall any of them mentioning the ice part of the storm. I was working in Hutchinson Wednesday and usually work until 6pm. However, after my dear hubby had called three times by 2:30pm, I figured I'd probably better head for home. (not real sure if he was more worried about me or the truck he let me drive that day) My co-workers looked at me like "what's the big deal"? But the storm was coming from the north and 35 miles north of work where I live was a sheet of ice.
My typical 40 minute drive took 70 minutes that day. I took back roads as soon as I could, but they weren't a whole lot better than the paved. There were times that I started to slide around when I pushed the speed over 10 mph, but mostly I drove 20-30. The windshield collected ice faster than the wipers could wipe it away. I had my defroster on High as long as I could stand it, then would turn it down, till I couldn't see again. When I got ready to cross Hwy 56, I had to roll down my passenger window to check for any traffic. The cold air actually felt really good. So, after that, I kept the defroster on High and just gave myself a "cool flash" every once in a while.
Something I noticed as I drove home that day, or maybe I should say "didn't notice". It was those little lines you see on the road that shows they have been "treated". How many times have we noticed those, and then no storm occurred? (There was even a day in November when I was riding my bike on Hwy 4 when I got "treated".) Maybe they should just treat the highways on a weekly basis. That seems to keep the snow/ice away.
No comments:
Post a Comment